Gather the Georgia State Capitol at 1pm
Take MARTA to the Georgia State Station (E1)
“Now let us begin. Now let us rededicate ourselves to the long and bitter, but beautiful, struggle for a new world.” -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
On Wednesday, June 27th, 2007, thousands of people from across the country will take to the streets of Atlanta to kick off the first United States Social Forum. The Opening March is an opportunity to show our strength, celebrate our victories, and demand change.
Global movements converging at the World Social Forum have declared “Another World is Possible.” The U.S. Social Forum (USSF) recognizes that another U.S. is necessary to achieve this vision. What is your vision for another United States, another world?
Marching through downtown Atlanta, we will pass significant local sites of struggle that resonate with national and international struggles. We encourage organizations to highlight their campaigns, victories, and issues, as well as draw attention to or stand in solidarity with international movements. Check out the Atlanta local planning team below . . .
- Hit the Streets: Mobilize and turn out your folks to march. Plan to join the march as a visible contingent—wear matching shirts, carry banners, flags, props or puppets to represent your organization or issue and connect to the USSF theme: If another world is possible, another U.S. is necessary!
- Make It Beautiful: Make banners and signs that reflect your work: What do you believe is possible? What is necessary? Name the broad vision and a concrete step or demand. For example, an organization working on housing issues might carry a banner that says, “Affordable housing is necessary! We will not be evicted!” We also encourage groups to make signs with bold, simple images that illustrate your vision of another world.
- Make It Smooth: Volunteer! Members of your organization can volunteer to help during the march (marshaling, distributing water and fliers, etc). Volunteer training will take place Tuesday, June 26th, from 6:00-8:00 at the Taskforce for the Homeless, 477 Peachtree at Pine in Atlanta. Marshal training will happen on Wednesday, June 27th, the day of the march. For more information and to get involved in planning, volunteering, making art, or getting the word out, contact Carolyn Cooley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (404)622-0602.
1) The Ruckus Society offers to refer organizations to trainers in their area to help them make props and art. Contact Hannah Strange at 510.763.7078 x304 or email email@example.com. To learn more about making banners and other visuals check out their new manual that includes How-to's and easy steps:
Creative Direct Action Visuals Manual
2) A team of volunteers in Atlanta will be making banners, flags, and signs. If you would like them to make signs or a banner for your group to carry, with your group's message, fill out the short form attached at the bottom of this page. SEND FORM to firstname.lastname@example.org
Making it Happen in Atlanta:
Atlanta Jobs with Justice
Atlanta Labor Council
Atlanta Transit Riders Union
Georgia Stand Up
International Action Center
Taskforce for the Homeless
Queer Progressive Agenda
SPEAK – GSU student organization
Southern Center for Human Rights/Fairness
Individuals & many others
All Planning Meetings & Art Parties at the Taskforce for the Homeless - 477 Peachtree St. NE
entrance to Artspace is on Pine near Courtland. Free parking on Pine St., but don't park in the lot across Pine St!
Wednesday 6/20 - Saturday 6/23 - 10am-5pm
Sunday 6/24 - Tuesday 6/27 - 10am-8pm
March volunteer meeting
Tuesday 6/26 - 6pm-8pm